Sunday, November 22, 2009

No new posts for a while

I'll be blogging little or not at all for the coming six weeks or so. I'm devoting as much as possible of my discretionary time to finish writing the aforementioned play, "The Sexiest Man Alive."

It's about a nominee for "Sexiest Man Alive," who in fact has low sex drive. Most of the play occurs on his wedding night.

The play will not only be a window into a couple's struggle to cope with mismatched sex drives but also reveals their attempt to address the question: How good does a marriage need to be to be worth saving? The play includes the couple's unvarnished exploration of their feelings about all aspects of their marriage, for example, children, money, career, and religion. I'll try to leaven the play's seriousness with humor.


I worry about my ability to create characters the audience will care about and dialogue that's believable, powerful and, yes, funny. But I'll give it a shot.


Let me take this opportunity to thank you for reading my blog and to encourage you to click on the words in the label cloud on the right side to read about topics of interest to you. And for longer articles, mostly about career, education, and men's issues, check my site: www.martynemko.com.

I'll be back when I can. Wish me luck.

Marty

6 comments:

Dave said...

Perhaps it would help to establish a cultural affinity with the characters. You can draw from your own family and life experiences as a Jew in New York. I think character development and humor might be an easier task if you take this route.

Good luck

Marty Nemko said...

Thanks, Dave but I want more universality than would be possible if I used New York Jews as the protagonists. My main characters are a bright Christian and a bright agnostic who are geographically ambiguous--that's the core theatregoing audience.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! FWIW, I am in the demographic of the theatre going audience you describe. I attend about 9 plays a year and have done so for many years. I actually agree with Dave. Plays with a point of view from a particular culture, ethnic group, or well-defined zeitgeist are more interesting to me than those that are ambiguous.

Anonymous said...

I think this is an interesting issue that does go across all cultural lines and it's nice you want to address it that way. I have lower sex drive than a lot of people and it's nice to know others may feel the same.

Robert H said...

I read only your blog so far other than my own which you coached me on how to. You are serious I take it that money somehow can be made. I notice advertisers and something about Adsense as pop ups sounding as if advertisers could potentially be sponsers. I've seen small miracles happen before wondering if this could be another.


Robert

Marty Nemko said...

I have not said that today, money can easily made blogging, e.g., with AdSense. That might have worked when blogging was new but there are too many blogs and too many Tweeters, website owners, etc. Such writing is for personal growth, noblesse oblige, and sometimes, providing a sample of the work you might do for clients.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online