Sunday, June 9, 2019

Embracing Eclecticism: One-size-fits-all therapy doesn't.

Therapists and counselors tend to emphasize one treatment modality: cognitive-behavioral, family systems, etc. But the research doesn't support a one-size-fits-all approach. 

The field is still in its adolescence. That means the mental health counseling is more an art than a science, and the good practitioner needs skills in a range of modalities and must restrain the temptation to too-often rely on his or her favorite modality, but flex to accommodate that client's needs.

My PsychologyToday.com article today fleshes this out and provides supporting data.

2 comments:

RB said...

Hi Marty,

I have gotten a lot of value out of your articles. Thank you.

Question - Currently, I am stuck in the corporate grind as a buyer. I am thinking about getting my real estate license. What do you think about real estate as a career? I am thinking residential. I know commercial can pay a lot more, but there may be only 1 sale a year (longer sales cycle) so it is hard to survive. I am 37 by the way, and looking to be my own boss. My experience is mostly as a buyer for corporations.

RB said...

Being a residential realtor is a simple, low-barrier, low start-up cost self-employment job that I can run out of home. Hard to break into an established market, I hear; also heard there is a very high first year washout rate. If I am good, I can become a broker and get a cut of underlings' commissions.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online