Sunday, April 21, 2019

'How Am I Going to Get Through the Day" Advice for the overwhelmed

I can’t myself out of bed. It's hard even to think about everything I have to do:. Ugh: Get dressed—I’ll skip the shower. Sit in the gridlock; I can’t stand it. And mass transit takes much longer still, as I smell the B.O. of the other sardines on the train who didn’t shower.
Then I’ll sit there, pushing paper, covering my ass, smiling at those phonies, so I can keep the records for this non-profit, no different than keeping the records for that widget company I worked for before. Whether they donate to us or the other charity, buy our widget or the competitors, BFD. Then I have to deal with the kids, help make dinner, help with the homework .Clean up. Uuhhhhhh.
The reverie is broken by the kids busting in:
I’m hungry
How come you’re not up, again!
What should I wear? 
That’s my toy!
Anthony is hitting me!
Where’s my lunch! It’s late.
You gotta drive us to school! Dad had to leave for work early!”
With the kids there, you manage to resist doing what you want to do: pull the covers over your head,. You murmur, “In a minute.”
Of course, many people can't even imagine feeling that way, but it's more common than you may  think. As always, there are no pat answers but perhaps one of more of the ideas I offer in my PsychologyToday.com article today might help:

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online