Thursday, July 18, 2019

Some counselors, especially those working at a college or a public agency may get to see a client only once, for lack of time or because the client no-shows after the first appointment.

Even if you do get multiple sessions with a client, it’s often wise to front-load the first session: that is, accomplish as much as possible to avoid a client concluding, “All I did was tell him about myself. I already knew all that. I don’t think that further sessions are worth the time (and perhaps money.)”

When a counselor knows or senses that it may be a one-shot opportunity, all's not lost. My PsychologyToday.com article today offers one approach to one-session career counseling. I’d imagine that some of this would be applicable to a wider range of counselors, therapists, and coaches.


No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online