While those tools do offer ways to target people in your field, a new article on usnews.com mentions a new generation of social networking sites aimed at individual subgroups:
- Top managers are getting tips from peers at Meet the Boss. That site restricts membership to financial executives, usually at the C level (as in "chief").
- Epernicus is for scientists.
- Graduate Junction caters to graduate students; for those already out of school.
- MyWorkster connects professionals with fellow alumni.
- Jobvite helps companies tap the power of social networks to find the best referrals for their available jobs.